Facebook YouTube Twitter Instagram Google+
Call Today On: 01277 229709

How do I find out whether a tree is causing root damage to my property

Posted on: February 24th, 2016


Do you need a tree surgeon or surveyor to determine whether a tree has become a threat to your home or premises?

I was recently asked the following question:

“Could you please tell me if a tree surgeon alone can make a decision as to whether a tree is causing root damage to a property, or does he have to work along side a construction engineer or surveyor?”

My answer was pretty straightforward:
“It depends on your tree surgeon’s experience! You may be able to find a tree surveyor near you who could do both.”

This is because when it comes to tree work, one size doesn’t necessarily fit all. Just as some plumbers are also qualified to carry out gas work, some tree surgeons have the skills that cross over into a tree surveyor’s remit and vice versa.

What does a tree surgeon do?

A tree surgeon has the skills to carry out a huge range of tree work, to include:

  • Planting
  • Care and maintenance
  • Pruning and branch removals
  • Tree felling
  • Tree health and hazard assessments
  • Pest control

Due to the work involved, a tree surgeon must be physically fit and have a head for heights. Many people become tree surgeons after gaining experience assisting qualified tree surgeons as a ground worker. Ground workers operate chainsaws, grinders and chippers, and clear the area of cut timber as the tree surgeon works. Others undertake an apprenticeship in Trees and Timber.

What does a tree surveyor do?

A tree surveyor, otherwise known as an Arboricultural Surveyor, is qualified to undertake a range of duties. These include:

  • Surveying, managing and maintaining trees
  • Producing site reports
  • Managing trees on construction sites and in relation to planning applications
  • Advising on trees within Conservation Areas or that are part of Tree Preservation Orders

Arboriculturists tend to specialise in one particular area of arboriculture, but in addition to inspection and surveying, a tree surveyor is likely to be fairly knowledgeable about tree preservation and conservation, tree climbing and maintenance, planning, and parks and gardens.

A tree surveyor may be self employed, work for a private company, or a local authority.

And if you’re not sure where to look in your area, a fast and simple way of finding a local, qualified tree surgeon or surveyor is to visit The Arboricultural Association’s website.

There you will find a Registered Consulant Directory, which provides you with all the information you’ll need.

We hope you found this article on ‘How do I find out whether a tree is causing root damage to my property?’ useful. If you would like to discuss any aspect of this article then please do not hesitate to call Prince Tree Surgery on 01277 229709.

Hire A Tree Surgeon Today, Call: 01277 229709 or Contact Us
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!